Sunday, November 2, 2008

Governor's Cross Country



Not only has mountain biking grabbed my attention but I may now officially be a trail running addict. Today I went with a group to do the Governor's Cross Country race held at Scott County Park. I went with the anticpation of a moderate trail run and ended up getting the race of the season. To call this a run is almost a slap in the face... it's more like a battle that happens to be a total blast. The race comes in an easy to swallow 2 mile version and a larger more wieldly 4 mile version. I of course chose the 4... funny thing is it's actually a little over 5.5. miles. To break it down there was mud, lots of water crossings (in excess of 20), wading in streams up to your chest, rope swings, plenty of trees to jump, hay bails to climb over, trails to navigate, and thorns to get pissed at. It was definately the most fun I've had running all year and also the hardest race I've done to date. It has given me a taste for what will come in some of my upcoming adventures and I can't hardly wait until the next one. This will surely become a yearly thing and I hope to drag several people along for the ride next year.

top pic - general idea of the run
bottom pic is me after the battle

No comments: